12 Types of Food You Can Get Addicted To
So we have talked about food addiction as an abnormal and uncontrollable behavior of eating food, but in our definition of food addiction, we usually mention food substances and tastes that may trigger the pleasure centers in your brain, as a reward for eating them and get you always desiring to eat them again, again and you never want to stop.
What is the best food treat you think you love, just how did or does it taste?
A mixture of the tastes of salt, sugar, fats taste great any day, anytime! What if it has a tinge of pepper? “Mmm…Take me!”
“Leave me here! What I am eating tastes like heaven!”
But it’s not; this is probably something that can trigger addictive behavior in your brain. You would always want to stay in this food or taste’s haven. Okay! In this post, we would discuss the wonderful tastes we love to have and their abilities to get us hooked.
Research done in the United States of America by the University of Michigan studied 500 participants on food obsession or addiction. Using the Yale Food Addiction Scale as a basis for their research, the researchers gave a list of foods and had the participants report if they were addicted to them. The result of this finding was that 90% of the participants said they were going to find it hard to stop eating most of the food on the list.
You Can Also Read: Food Addiction – How to Overcome and Live free of this Disease.
Hyper palatable foods are foods that have a desirable combination of sugar, salt, refined carbohydrates and fats in taste or a distinction of these tastes and send a sensation from the taste buds in the tongue to excite particular parts of the brain to release a substance called Dopamine within the brain. This dopamine gives a sensation of pleasure and reward for doing whatever that started its release, being the food in this case.
So you have an idea that the best tasting food you’ve ever had might be something that can help cultivate an addictive behavior to food. We have come up with a list of foods that frequent our diet as Nigerians. These foods on our list can be said to be the most addictive food that people can’t do without eating. Mind you, our list is in no particular order.
- Biscuits: From children to adults, local to international recipes and brands of biscuits and cookies. The sugary, salty, spicy, crunchy, buttery tastes of biscuits feature in our diet frequently. The neighborhood petty and grocery stores that don’t sell biscuits are usually deafened with demands for biscuits. It is the symbol of bribes and rewards for children.
- Ice Cream: We all scream for Ice cream! Sweet tasting, especially when it comes rich in cream, you just close your eyes, savor as your tongue uses the ice cream to caress your palate. This is definitely a good feeling and can keep you wanting to stay with it forever.
- Sharwarma: Sharwarmas have a combination of a lot of things you love; bread, beef, chicken, hot dogs, mustard, mayonnaise, and others. The taste never goes wrong and leaves your taste buds relishing every moment they spend in union with Sharwarmas, and wanting it again. Since sharwarmas came into our Nigerian lifestyle around twenty years now, the spread is yet to reduce. Yes, this food can be addictive.
- Soft drinks mineral water: You know the brands that people can do without taking at least one everyday right? Yes! So you see that it is true that a lot more people are addicted and they don’t know it.
- Cake: Everybody loves cake; there must be a reason why. It gives us pleasure when we eat it and has the tendency of getting people addicted to the pleasure it brings. Sometimes you feel a cake a day can keep sorrows and doctors away.
- Suya: Every night the suya business progresses wherever a local barbeque stand is erected not because of the business prowess of the business owners, but there is definitely an addiction to it. Do you feel a suya stand calling to you anytime you try to pass by at night?
- Bread: If people can combine bread with noodles you can perceive the importance of the staple to their diet or better put this way, their addiction to bread.
- Popcorn: Flavored with butter, honey and other flavor enhancers, and acting like it is mandatory you have a pop corn in hand to get into the cinemas
- Jollof Rice: The heated international debate of the jollof rice and its prowess. The Jollof rice is usually the first to finish on the menu at eateries, fast food businesses and even parties. Can you do without Jollof rice for a month?
- Sweets: Pellets to keep our breath fresh keep us alert, make us feel good, pacify children or babies and any other use we may find sweets for. It is does build an addiction for children especially.
- Snacks and Pastries: From the numerous brands of sausage rolls sold in their thousands every day in traffic to the others, donuts, meat pies and so on, displayed in show glasses. We eat them every day as fillers or main meals. They have the tendency of getting you addicted.
- Pizza: This is not a traditional food or junk food in the United States, but everyone who hasn’t wants to have a taste. Also, it has won the hearts of most who have tasted and since it has been introduced to our lifestyle, Pizzas have come to stay. Added to Pizzas are flavor enhancers which make you running back to them.
Are you salivating yet? Mmmm…There you have it. Do you think our list exhaustive?
You will find that these are the kind of things you feel like eating when you are feeling sad or having a down time. If you think they are a fix to your memories of the realities you face, you should tread carefully because you might be close to an addiction.
Share your thoughts on foods we can’t do without in the comment section. Thanks.
Photo Credit: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317122.php